Table of Contents
Pet age limits
- You can insure your pet from 8 weeks of age.
- The upper limit to start a new policy for most breeds of dogs is their 8th birthday. For some breeds of dogs,it is their 5th birthday. For cats, the upper age limit is their 10th birthday.
- Once your pet is insured, cover can continue beyond these upper age limits
The maximum benefits we will pay under this policy per policy year are shown in your certificate of insurance.
Maximum Benefit Cover
The maximum benefits we will pay for each condition under this policy are shown in your certificate of insurance. Each condition is only covered until the maximum benefit as shown on your certificate of insurance is paid for that condition. After this, we will not make any further claims payments for that
condition or any bilateral, recurring, or related conditions.
Time Limited Cover
The maximum benefits we will pay for each condition under this policy are shown in your certificate of insurance. Each condition is only covered for 12 months starting from the first date of treatment or until the maximum benefit is paid for that condition whichever occurs first. After this, we will not make any
further claims payments for that condition or any bilateral, recurring, or related conditions.
Must Check: Sainsbury’s Pet Insurance For Cats
Must check: Sainsbury’s Pet Insurance for Dogs
If your pet falls ill, is injured, or needs treatment from a vet, this part of the cover helps you pay for the vet fees.
We may contact your vet to confirm the treatment was right for the condition you are claiming for. If we believe the fees and/or treatment are excessive, we will talk with your vet about the costs on your behalf and we may ask you to use a different vet for future treatment. Otherwise, we may not be able to pay future claims.
What you are covered for
- Vet fees for the cost of any treatment your pet have received for a condition(s).
- Any herbal or homoeopathic medicine your vet recommends.
- Any complementary and physiotherapy treatment your vet recommends up to the maximum benefit.
- The cost of having your pet put to sleep (euthanasia) if recommended by or agreed with your vet.
- 25% of the cost of a clinical diet for your pet for a maximum period of 6 months per condition, if it is recommended by your vet for a treatable condition other than for obesity/weight loss.
- The cost of dental treatment as a result of an accidental injury.
- The cost of treatment for a dental condition and any related conditions, so long as:
- There is a history of annual check-ups. If not annual, then as recommended by your vet. We would need proof that any advice given has been followed within 6 months; and
- The treatment is to relieve suffering due to illness.
- Ongoing treatment of a condition so long as the policy stays in force.
- The cost of any treatment your pet has received in any country is included in the PETS as part of the Extension of Vet Fees Cover Abroad.
Sainsbury’s Bank Pet Insurance for Cats and Dogs Contact Details
- You can submit, track and manage a claim and make changes to your policy by logging in to My Pet Portal sainsburysbank.co.uk/mypetportal
- If you would prefer to speak to us, please call us on 0344 543 1032
- Your Right to Cancel
- You can cancel your policy at any time by calling us at 0344 543 1032 or writing to us.
- Within the “cooling off period”
- If you cancel during the first 14 days you will receive a full refund of the premium so long as no claim has
- been paid. If we have paid a claim, there will be no refund.
Things you need to do
- You must submit your claim for vet fees along with invoices showing costs/fees you have incurred within 12 months of the treatment taking place. Failure to do so will result in non-payment of your claim unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- You must take your pet for regular annual check-ups (or as otherwise recommended by your vet) and vaccinations with licensed products as recommended by your vet.
- You must respond honestly to any request for information we make when you take out cover under this policy or apply to make a change to your cover. If any statement of fact you make is untrue or misleading, this may affect the validity of your policy, any claims previously paid by us, and whether you can make any claim in the future.
- You must not make any claim you know is false or dishonest. If you do not carry these out, we may not pay any claim you may make. Things we need to do
- We will assess all claims fairly, reasonably, and quickly against the information you tell us and the terms of the policy.
- We may need to see your pet’s records from any vet who has treated it and any other information about your pet before your claim is paid. If the vet charges for this information, you will have to pay.
- We may need to arrange for someone to visit you and your pet if we feel we need further information to properly understand your claim.